Saturday 28 September 2024

Jelly Roll Jam


Pet / baby quilt for dad's dog made from 2 Moda Aspen Forest jelly rolls I purchased 2nd hand new, I selected the prints I wanted as you only need 1/2 jelly roll for the top. My first machine embroidery! I used interfacing on the inside of the label, which is from a leftover layer cake square. The binding is from a Moda scrap bag, as I only had 1 red strip left (made another quilt, kept the plain strips, donated the snowmen and peppermint prints, too busy). 

Backing is Dashwood studio that I've had since I started quilting! I like trees but never quilt with pink, I also dislike that pink seems to be in a lot of Halloween and Christmas fabrics, it's fine on its own as a backing, and I think looks a bit retro with the red binding and picks out some of the trees. 60/40 cotton batting. The quilt is 36.5 inches approx so I was able to use offcuts of batting. 

I've been wanting to use serpentine stitches for quilting, but on my other machine, the tension was always too tight, so I could only straight line or free motion. I quilted it to a 2 inch grid so it catches all the seams. This stitch is quick as you can sew both sides of the seam down with one instead of two lines, and it's more forgiving, it looks cute on whimsical styles.