Tuesday 25 April 2023

McCalls 6361 Skirt

I had 2.5 metres of this cream with black polkadot Rico cotton canvas I purchased originally to make a jacket, but I am in need of more skirts due to a wardrobe/attic cull or fabric recycle. I really like this one too, it's understated and an airy colour, and the perfect skirt weight without needing a lining. McCalls 6361 is trousers or a straight skirt with a fly zip. The pattern is one of those fitting practice Palmer Pletsch patterns, I basted the side seams at 1 inch and ended up seeing them down at 1 inch as I was happy with the fit, the seams are marked 1.5cm in the instructions but it has you put on the skirt inside out and pin it to size. There is a photo step missing for sewing the fly (sewing it near the zip before doing the topstitching from the outer side), but I have sew fly zips before so knew how to make it. I sewed a straight 14 (38 hip) I think my hip is 39 high high 40 lower hip / thigh but a 14 has always fine for skirts. I sewed two trousers hooks for the closure, in gunmetal. You could use a button of course, I was considering using a black button to complement the polkadots. I sewed the pocket linings and waistband in a soft cotton volie from when Sea Salt sold fabric.  Jacket fabric supplied by Minerva in 2021 for review.

 Itch to Stitch Salamanca Jacket in Lady McElroy cotton canvas supplied by Minerva for review 2021.


Salamanca jacket in fabric from Minerva (review/gifted)