Wednesday 11 September 2024

Denim Tote

Made for my friend, his shopper bag was running ragged so needed a new one. I used 10oz Lady McElroy denim from Sherwoods, it was leftover from a denim jacket I made 3yrs ago. I chose this one for the rustic texture and the midnight navy or black shade.  My first thought was to use waterproof canvas, but cotton denim is a natural alternative. The lining is an Art Gallery Fabric I wasn't able to use on quilts, I've washed it three times and couldn't get the white looking bright, I wonder if it is supposed to be light grey, as I haven't had a lot of colour leaking with that brand before and I always use one colour catcher or more. 

Pattern is Elbe Textiles Buckley Tote, I've made this pattern a lot. I would like a bag with a zip, but the corners fold, so I couldn't add a zip. I used light interfacing to stabilise the fabric over time, it's pretty rigid already.  I also top stitched the edges. 

I'm pleased to have some craft projects sewn up, dressing fabric out of the attic and put to good use.