Sunday, 20 December 2015

Oxford Rose S1202 Blouse & Sew Bag

This bag is from a previous addition Cath Kidston book. 
Have some mud.
2nd version of Simplicity 1202 in Cath Kidston Autumn Winter 2015 cotton sateen. This size is still roomy - perhaps a drapey fabric is better. I used a purple grapes button and olive green ribbon. All seams are folded under. I double folded and topstitched the sleeve hem before attaching them as I knew it would fit. The neckline is self bias bound, which worked well for my first version too.

The book comes with the fabric cut to make the shoulder bag and I ended up cutting around the templates on a new canvas fabric so I can make it again without having to measure the dimensions. There aren't diagrams for every step like with a traditional pattern and the text is white on pale green so it is hard to read (the latest book is readable). I also decided to add a lining, blue polysatin, and sew the label on by machine before sewing the bag using blue thread on the very edge. It's pretty to hold your threads, zips and whatnot. 

Tuesday, 1 December 2015

S1590 1940s Blouse Batik

1940s shirt from Simplicity 1590 pattern & quilting cotton. (*Outfit photos, March)
 Victorian bridge in central Reading (1839). It looked like a painting inside.

Collarless blazer Linea, House of Fraser sale / sold out.  Diamante necklace Alan Hannah (sale)  Jon Richard tennis bracelet (sale).

The blouse was too big choosing the size at the bust measurement so I took in the darts and sides to fit and rejoined at the peplum.  I used buttons in a wood-marbled colour that I found in a £2.50 multipack beige/brown. Folded at back collar. I chose a coffee coloured batik leaf print cotton (£7-8/m, Henley) x 1.5m. I decided on copper taffeta for the facings with self fabric for the curved part which attaches to the necklike and fusible interfacing for the rest (which wasn't so fusible on taffeta).