Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Spring Jacket - Itch to Stitch Salamanca

I've wanted to sew a blazer for a while now and the new release of the Itch to Stitch Salamanca Jacket  gave me the incentive to start an 'involved' project. I used existing fabrics, ivy print upholstery and lightweight cream dressmaking polyester,  both from last year. I used white cotton instead of fusible interfacing because of the coarse grain.
The lining jumps over the hem to allow for movement. You sew the lining to the front sides (leaving the hem facing open, which you then tuck the ease of the lining into) then sew across the bottom from 1cm which secures the hem facing - and turn).  This is the size 4-C. I left off the buttons as I think the printed fabrics are decorative enough and it works fine as an open casual jacket. I would say this is an intermediate pattern because it took me four evenings to construct. It's a really nice project to work on as you learn a new technique and create a beautiful garment that will be worn beyond special occasions. I would like to sew a plain colour version with buttons. The sleeve heads are gathered and both the lining and outer involve pleats. The attention to detail, for instance the facings on the sleeve cuffs and front edges create a quality garment which is worth spending time on.
Salamanca Cropped Jacket PDF Sewing Pattern - A fully lined jacket with yoke!
With the cuffs folded up.
 Oxford: Went to the One pub on Botley Road for cocktails. Sugar & Vice Raven pendant.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so cute, I love the ivy print. It looks great photographed among all the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that Ivy print? Very cute! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a Lovely pattern and a great spring jacket. You can probably use this pattern with wool, tweed, denim, etc for different seasons. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :D The ivy print is from fabric-dreams.co.uk. I didn't know what to sew with it at first, just really wanted some ivy fabric! Yes denim would be really cool, especially a soft kind & navy denim would go with everything

    ReplyDelete