Gallery

Saturday, 9 May 2015

NewLook 6145 Tulips

 
My version of Kate Middleton's flower l/s shift dress! You know you're meant to sew when you see a style and the pattern code springs to mind! I decided to go for a bolder flowerprint because ditsy would look 'bedsheet' on me, there is actually a yellow floral print in FabricLand just like the top half.  My cotton floral 3/4 length shift dress cost just £9 to make. The tulip print cotton was £3.99/m - I used just under 2.  Simplicity Blogger Challenge - Dresses.



I used the suggested facings with light-medium interfacing + overlocked, and a white invisible zip, which I first basted by hand then machine. I also finished the hems by hand.  I used french seams to construct the dress and finished the zip seams by folding over and stitching, the sleeve seams with overlocking (tried on and it was just right). The most time consuming part was probably the handstitching.
My alterations, I cut longer arms and body for larger hem allowances because I am using unlined cotton. I didn't add bust darts. I cut a 12 but graded it to a 14 skirt. I sewed the interfacing and shirt together in one but I would follow the instructions and join separately next time. I added two pleat tucks at the top instead of basting-stitching the sleeves on..
 
I don't think sheath dresses suit me

No comments:

Post a Comment